Once again, Beatport brings you a remix contest of truly historical proportions. Our latest collaborator is none other than Bryan Ferry, the distinguished dandy who fronted Roxy Music in the ’70s and ’80s before moving on to a fruitful solo career.
In recent years, Ferry has been increasingly visible on the club scene, whether via Roxy Music’s triumphant performance at Sonar this summer or Ferry’s collaboration with DJ Hell, “U Can Dance,” and its successful string of remixes from Carl Craig, Simian Mobile Disco, Tim Goldsworthy, and others. This year Ferry even launched his own label, the club-friendly Beat Noire, featuring artists like Headman, Rub n Tug and the Gimmers reworking Roxy Music classics. Beat Noire is also responsible for the release of “You Can Dance,” Ferry’s first single from his acclaimed 2010 album, Olympia, featuring remixes by Padded Cell, Richard Sen, and Audiojack.
Entrants to the Bryan Ferry remix contest will take on “Shameless,” Ferry’s collaboration with Groove Armada, and have the chance to win a sumptuous prize pack including a signed copy of the “Deluxe Book Edition” of Bryan Ferry’s new album; a signed, C-type crystal archive print of Kate Moss (Ferry’s new cover girl); and a framed print of the 1975 album Siren – all with a total estimated value of 1300 Pounds Sterling, or nearly $2100. Add on to that VModa headphones, a Native Instruments Maschine, a $200 Beatport credit – and, of course, release of the winning remix on Beat Noire itself.
Ferry told Beatport, “I have always found it fascinating to hear other people’s interpretations of my music. This track, ‘Shameless,’ is a song I wrote with Groove Armada, who are no strangers to the dance world. They gave me the track last year, which contained the catchy bassline, drums, swooshes, and synth stabs. I then, rather laboriously, spent six months getting the track to a point that I was comfortable with. I eventually wrote the lyrics and delivered the track to Groove Armada. They then effectively remixed the track into a downtempo version, which is also very interesting. There are a lot of different sounds swirling around in ‘Shameless,’ and it will be interesting to see what a young budding remixer would do with them… Good luck!”
Read on for the full contest rules.
On November 16th, 2010, Beatport will make available for download the stems of “Shameless.” From then until December 6th, producers may remix the track, and upload their finished remix to Beatportal for the voting round.
The winners will be divided into 2 categories; 10 user voted (based on the highest number of spins) and 10 editors’ favorites (picked by Beatport’s internal music staff). From these 20 nominees, Bryan Ferry will choose a Grand Prize Winner.
- The winning remix released on Beat Noire
1 – Bryan Ferry Prize Pack consisting of: a signed copy of the “Deluxe Book Edition” of Bryan Ferry’s new album, a signed, C-type crystal archive print of Kate Moss, a framed print of the 1975 album Siren
1 – $200 Beatport gift card
1 – Native Instruments Maschine
1 – V-MODA Crossfade LP Headphones
The highest spun remix entry will also receive 1 – $50 Beatport gift card.
1. November 16th – December 6th: Download phase – The remix parts of “Shameless”. You may purchase the stems bundled at $3.99 USD each.
2. November 23rd – December 6th: Upload/Submission phase – Upload your remix to Beatportal to www.beatportal.com/remix. During this phase the entries can be listened to, but not voted for.
3. December 7th – December 21st: Voting phase – The public votes for their favorite remixes by “spinning” them.
After a period of deliberation, the winner will be announced on or around January 11th, 2011.
Update: Due to Bryan Ferry’s upcoming tour schedule our winner announcement has been postponed until Friday January 28, 2011. Stay tuned.
1. Download the remix parts to “Shameless” November 16th – December 6th. You may purchase the stems bundled at $3.99 USD each. NOTE: You do not need to download the WAV files to enter but the stem(s) must be downloaded from Beatport.com in order to qualify for the Contest. Remixes created using illegally obtained stems will be disqualified.
2. Remix the track into your chosen style. All genres are welcome.
3. Submit your remix to Beatportal’s remix page. MP3 files sizes are limited and may be no larger than 10 MB.
4. The submission phase begins on November 23rd, 2010 at 12.01AM MST and ends December 6th, 2010 at 10.00PM MST.
5. The voting phase starts on December 7th, 2010 at 12.01AM MST and ends on December 21st, 2010 at 11.59pm MST.
6. The winners will be divided into 2 categories; 10 user voted (based on number of spins) and 10 editorial winners (picked by the Beatport music staff). Among these 20 winning entries, Bryan Ferry will choose his top “Shameless” remix, to receive prizes valued at over $2000 U.S. His favorite winning remix will be released on Beat Noire and will receive a Bryan Ferry Prize Pack consisting of: a signed copy of the “Deluxe Book Edition” of Bryan Ferry’s new album, a signed, C-type crystal archive print of Kate Moss, a framed print of the 1975 album Siren, along with 1 (one) Native Instruments Maschine (Value: $699), 1 (one) V-MODA crossfade LP headphones (Value: $250), and a $200 Beatport Giftcard. The highest spun remix entry will also receive 1 (one) $50 Beatport gift card. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. All prizes are non-transferable and no substitutions or exchanges or cash equivalents will be allowed except by sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value and approximately similar features for any prize mentioned in these rules due to unavailability.
7. Remixes using “uncleared” samples will be disqualified. An “uncleared sample” is a musical work, loop or sample that is copyrighted (ie: you didn’t create it). Entrant(s) are free to use royalty-free loops, stems and samples and/or sounds the entrant(s) has originally created.
8. All remixes submitted for this Contest become the legal property of Bryan Ferry and Beat Noire. Your remix contest submission becomes the legal property of the record label hosting the competition as protection against the release of unauthorized remixes. Upon request entrant will supply Beatport, Bryan Ferry or Beat Noire a 16 bit, 44.100 khz, WAV quality master file.
9. All trademarks and logos are protected. All rights of the producer and the owner of the recorded work are reserved. Unauthorized copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this record, remix or remix parts is prohibited.
10. Neither Beatport, Bryan Ferry, Beat Noire, Native Instruments, nor V-MODA accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, liability, injury or upset caused to or suffered by you as a result of entering the competition or winning the prize. Beatport, Bryan Ferry, Beat Noire, Native Instruments, and V-MODA further accept no liability for any damage caused to any person’s computer or other electronic device relating to or resulting from downloading any materials, including so called computer viruses, in connection with this competition. Nothing shall exclude us from our liability for death or personal injury as a result of our negligence.
11. Your submission of a remix in this Contest constitutes your agreement to these Rules.
12. This Promotion is sponsored by Beatport L.L.C. 2399 Blake Street. Denver, CO 80205. Colorado law governs this Contest and prize winner(s) agree that any claims against Sponsors must be filed in the Central District of Colorado.