If you like getting messy, here’s your chance to do just that—and be rewarded for it. Announcing Chromeo‘s “Hot Mess” remix contest.
“Hot Mess,” featuring Elly Jackson, is the latest single from Chromeo’s recent album Business Casual, and it features an all-star cast of remixers including Duck Sauce, Djedjotronic, and Riva Starr. Now you have the chance to join their ranks: just download the remix parts and work your magic on the Montreal duo’s sultry funk.
From all contest entries, Turbo Recordings‘ A&R crew will select their 5 favorite selections; these, along with the 5 top-spun remixes, will go on to a select panel of pro DJs and producers (yet to be named), who will determine the grand-prize winner.
The winning remix will be released on Tiga’s Turbo Recordings, and the producer of the winning remix will also take home a massive prize package including Native Instruments’ Audio 2DJ, Traktor Pro, Traktor Kontrol X1, and an X1 Bag; V-Moda Remote Remix earbuds; Izotope Stutter Edit and Mix & Master Bundle including Ozone 4 and Alloy; an online music-production course from Point Blank; a $200 Beatport voucher; a Turbo Recordings merch package including t-shirt, sweatshirt, Chromeo 12″ and CD; a one-year Turbo Recordings subscription (one year of Turbo single releases); and, finally, a Big Beat/Atlantic t-shirt.
The most spun entry will take home Native Instruments’ Audio 2DJ and Traktor Duo; Izotope Stutter Edit; a Big Beat t-shirt; and a $50 Beatport voucher.
The submission period begins March 22 and ends two weeks later, so don’t mess around: it’s time to make a “Hot Mess”!
Read on for full contest rules and regulations.
1. March 15th – April 5th: Download phase – The remix parts of “Hot Mess” will be available to download until the voting round. The stems are bundled for purchase at $1.99 USD.
2. March 22nd – April 4th: Upload/Submission phase – Upload your remix to www.beatportal.com/remix. During this phase the entries can be listened to, but not voted for.
3. April 5th – April 19th: Voting phase – The public votes for their favorite remixes by “spinning” them.
Final Rounds And Prizes:
Chromeo and his hand-selected judging panel will choose one winning remix to be announced May 3rd, 2011, and the public will select the fourth winner on Beatportal. The winner will receive a grand prize package of:
1 – Release of the remix on Turbo Recordings
1 – Year Turbo Subscription
1 – Turbo Recordings Merchandise Package including a T-shirt, sweatshirt, Chromeo 12” and CD
1 – $200 Beatport pre-paid card
1 – Online Course from the Point Blank Music School
1 – Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ
1 – Traktor Pro software
1 – Traktor Kontrol X1 and X1 Bag
1 – Izotope Stutter Edit + Mix & master Bundle (Ozone 4 and Alloy)
1 – Big Beat T-Shirt
1 – set of V-Moda remix series earbuds
1. Download the remix parts to “Hot Mess” March 15th – April 5th, 2011. The stems are bundled for purchase at $1.99 USD. NOTE: You do not need to download the WAV files to enter but the stem(s) must be downloaded from Beatport.com in order to qualify for the Contest. Remixes created using illegally obtained stems will be disqualified.
2. Remix the track into your chosen style. All genres are welcome.
3. Submit your remix to Beatportal’s remix page. MP3 files sizes are limited and may be no larger than 10 MB.
4. The submission phase begins on March 22nd, 2011 at 12.01AM MST and ends April 4th, 2011 at 10.00PM MST.
5. The voting phase starts on April 5th, 2011 at 12.01AM MST and ends on April 19th, 2011 at 11.59pm MST.
6. The winning remix will receive: 1 (one) Release of the remix on Turbo Recordings, 1 (one) Year Turbo Subscription, 1 (one) Turbo Recordings Merchandise Package including a T-shirt, sweatshirt, Chromeo 12” and CD (Value: $110), 1 (one) $200 Beatport pre-paid card, 1 (one) Online Course from the Point Blank Music School (value: $1000), 1 (one) Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ (value: $120), 1 (one) Traktor Pro software (value: $230), 1 (one) Traktor Kontrol X1 and X1 Bag (value: $300), 1 (one) Izotope Stutter Edit + Mix & master Bundle (Ozone 4 and Alloy) (value: $750), 1 (one) Big Beat T-Shirt (value: $20), and 1 (one) set of V-Moda remix series earbuds(value: $100).
7. The highest spun remix entry will also receive: 1 (one) $50 Beatport pre-paid card, 1 (one) Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ + Traktor Duo (value: $240 USD), 1 (one) Izotope Stutter Edit (value: $250), and 1 (one) Big Beat T-Shirt (value: $20).
8. Remixes using “uncleared” samples will be disqualified. An “uncleared sample” is a musical work, loop or sample that is copyrighted (ie: you didn’t create it). Entrant(s) are free to use royalty-free loops, stems and samples and/or sounds the entrant(s) has originally created.
9. All remixes submitted for this Contest become the legal property of Chromeo and Turbo Records. Your remix contest submission becomes the legal property of the record label hosting the competition as protection against the release of unauthorized remixes. Upon request entrant will supply Beatport, Chromeo or Turbo Records a 16 bit, 44.100 khz, WAV quality master file.
12. All trademarks and logos are protected. All rights of the producer and the owner of the recorded work are reserved. Unauthorized copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this record, remix or remix parts is prohibited.
13. Neither Beatport, Chromeo, Turbo Records, Native Instruments, Point Blank, Big Beat, V-Moda nor Izotope accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, liability, injury or upset caused to or suffered by you as a result of entering the competition or winning the prize. Chromeo, Turbo Records, Native Instruments, Point Blank, Big Beat, V-Moda and Izotope further accept no liability for any damage caused to any person’s computer or other electronic device relating to or resulting from downloading any materials, including so called computer viruses, in connection with this competition. Nothing shall exclude us from our liability for death or personal injury as a result of our negligence.
14. Your submission of a remix in this Contest constitutes your agreement to these Rules.
15. This Promotion is sponsored by Beatport L.L.C. 2399 Blake Street. Denver, CO 80205. Colorado law governs this Contest and prize winner(s) agree that any claims against Sponsors must be filed in the Central District of Colorado.