After yesterday’s news of DJ Ajax’s death, the dance-music community has come together to honor him with a fitting tribute. Check it out, along with plenty more music news, after the jump.
- It was reported yesterday that Australian DJ Ajax passed away from injuries sustained during a car accident. Today In the Mix assembled a really nice tribute to the former Bang Gang member and head of Sweat It Out! Records. (full story)
- Last night, if you were in New York and looking at the Empire State Building after dark, you would’ve taken in the Swedish House Mafia’s latest piece of work—illuminating the building’s lights. Yep, in a special ceremony in Manhattan last night, Axwell, Steve Angello, and Sebastian Ingrosso flipped that big switch, prior to a sold-out four-night stint of shows to benefit the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City and Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief. (full story)
- By the way, March’s electronic-music madness isn’t just relegated to Miami’s goings-on. More and more each year, the still-rock-heavy South By Southwest conference in Austin, Texas, has been featuring dance music of all sorts, and now Resident Advisor has announced their showcase, with folks like Andy Stott, John Talabot, and Optimo booked for the event. (full story)
- We wish a lot more interviews were conducted in the manner in which the Cologne artists known as Andhim have done below:
- Experimental dance label Planet Mu has been alive and kicking for a lot longer than most people know, and its central force—Mike Paradinas (aka µ-Ziq)—has gone long enough without the credit he deserves. This year, he and his wife, Lara Rix-Martin, release their debut LP as Heterotic. (full story)
- Industrial techno legend Regis talks with Electronic Beats about the Midlands scene of yore and more. (full story)
- The EDMbiz Conference will return to Las Vegas this June 5-7 as part of EDC week. (full story)