Well, we’re getting the first words back from Miami this morning, and among them, naturally, is a report of Steve Aoki’s patented crowd-caking antics—plus, we’ve got Richie Hawtin’s Saturday set and much more from Florida, so come on in.
- And reports from the first big weekend of Ultra are starting to roll in. Australia’s In the Mix says weekend one “closed on a trance high.” (full story)
- Apparently Richie Hawtin had quite a fun time chatting and performing with Deadmau5 last week at South by Southwest. “Haven’t felt the same since Stubb’s the other night at SxSW,” he joked, during a recent trip to Disneyworld. (full story)
- Hawtin was, of course, in Florida for Ultra, and you can check out his Saturday-night set here: (full story)
- More from Miami? How about the quintessential Steve Aoki caking?
- And then how about Zedd stopping in on Deadmau5′s set, shirtless in a bowtie and pink suspenders?
- Akai has a nice little web series called MPC Minute, and today they check in with the Gaslamp Killer about how he punches out the beats.
- Being the DJ Koze fans that we are, we couldn’t help but be crazy-psyched of the news of Amygdala, his forthcoming album on Pampa. Well, we’ve finally got a full preview for you—actually, NPR does, so here it is: (full story)
- Who knew James Holden was so into math(s)? Turns out, the guy’s got some really interesting scientific philosophies behind how he makes his amazing trancey house tunes.
- The BBC gets deep into the history of the Roland 808, 303, and 909 in this nifty little audio piece, featuring tracks from Josh Wink, Afrika Bambaataa, Drake, and more. Check it. (full story)
- Calvin Harris is picking up a cool £320,000 gig for playing the wedding of Tamara Ecclestone, the daughter of Formula One racing CEO Bernie Ecclestone. Others performing that night? J-Lo and Lionel Richie, apparently. (full story)
Steve Aoki photo via Miami New Times