Well, the MTV VMA nominations are out, and we’re pleased to say that dance music’s favorites are all nicely represented. Click on through to see who might take home a spaceman.
- Skrillex, Calvin Harris, Ellie Goulding, Flying Lotus, A-Trak, Zedd, and more dance-music favorites are up for MTV VMA awards. Check out who else is nominated here: (full story)
- Imagine coming upon a slew of J Dilla’s lost records and unheard beat tapes in a storage locker in Detroit. Here’s the account of one man who did just that.
- Planning on hitting Electric Zoo next month? Here are 10 b2b sets you won’t wanna miss: (full story)
- Personally, we feel like summertime is no time for sadness, and apparently Cedric Gervais is with us as he’s taken Lana Del Rey’s “Summertime Sadness” slow jam and turned it into a hyped-up club banger. If you dug the video for the original, you’ll probably be into this remix clip, which, at least in terms of the visuals, isn’t significantly different.
- Has dance music lost its sense of irony? Is the money to big to fool around with? DJBroadcast explores: (full story)
- Here’s a super-nice live cut of Duke Dumont’s and MNEK’s “Hold On,” performed in London at XOYO.
- A Guy Called Gerald’s “Voodoo Ray” is an acid classic if there ever was one. Wanna know how he put it altogether? Point Blank sat down with the man for a lengthy walk-through of the tune’s genesis.
- It seemed pretty obvious to us watching Spring Breakers that James Franco’s Alien character was a total homage (ahem… rip-off) of Mad Decent rapper Riff Raff’s persona. Now Riff Raff is striking back at the film’s producers with a $10-million lawsuit. (full story)
- Thanks, Pet Shop Boy Chris Lowe, for the nice little shout-out about music discovery in this piece with GQ! (full story)