Detroit techno legend Kevin Saunderson spent a fair amount of time in Chicago over the years, so he rightly can speak to the differences between Motown’s and Chi-town’s dance scenes. Hear what he’s got to say on the topic in today’s Morning Roundup.
– As he always does, Spin writer (and former Beatportal contributor) Philip Sherburne goes deep into the controversy surrounding LA party promoters and a rash of drug-related deaths. (full story)
– Say what you will about Kanye West, but there’s little denying his role in bringing dance music to the hip-hop-loving masses. Here, Vibe takes a look at 15 electrified Kanye tracks. (full story)
– So what were the key differences between Chicago house and Detroit techno in the ’80s? Kevin Saunderson sounds off:
– Wunderkind of 2010’s electronic/pop crossover James Blake has announced the details of his new full-length. It’s entitled Overgrown and will arrive on April 8 via Universal Republic. (full story)
– Need a quick and cheap studio-efficiency boost? Dubspot outlines 10 useful pieces of gear to kick up your productivity for under $100 each. (full story)
– Beatport News tech reporter Francis Preve happens to run the great Academik label, and along with its new release, Tyler Hampton’s The Knight, he promises much more in the year to come.
– Lastly, Vegas is in for one serious treat real soon. The Mandalay Bay hotel is set to open Light, a new club that combines the theatrics of Cirque du Soleil with the, uh, theatrics of Skrillex, Zedd, Alesso, Baauer, and more top jocks. “It’s fucking crazy,” says Skrillex. (full story)
Kevin Saunderson photo via Resident Advisor