Well, we’re as excited as the next guy to see who takes home the award for the Best Electronic Dance Music Video at the MTV VMAs tonight. Skrillex, Avicii, Martin Solveig, Duck Sauce, and Calvin Harris will go head-to-head and only one will stand victorious. But before that happens, check out the new Pioneer CDJ, updates on Bestival and Elevate, and interviews with John Roberts and Maceo Plex in today’s news roundup.
– Pioneer’s flagship piece of DJ gear, the CDJ, just got an upgrade. Check out the CDJ-2000 Nexus, with WiFi and Slip Mode. (full story with video)
– Yesterday was minimalist composer and thinker John Cage’s birthday. Chris and Cosey, Oneohtrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, and more weigh in on his importance. (full story)
– The Isle of Wight’s Bestival gets underway today. Among the performers are New Order, Wylie, Justice, Orbital, Borgore, Claude VonStroke, Azealia Banks, Kevin Saunderson, and tons of others. (full story)
– Ohioan John Roberts, of the lovely Dial imprint, talks about rap- and classical radio with FACT. (full story)
– The Bug (pictured above) is curating late October’s Elevate Festival in Graz, Austria. And he’s already got Ras G, Disrupt, DJ Rashad, DJ Spinn, and more confirmed. (full story)
– Maceo Plex in a great Resident Advisor interview: “It’s your records that don’t sell and nobody cares about that are the ones that you connect most with personally.” (full story)
– And don’t forget. The VMAs happen tonight! Tune in tomorrow for the winners. (full story)