Darius Syrossian has lodged a pretty big allegation against Mexico’s BPM Festival—that he was beaten up onstage before he challenged some of the festival’s policies. Of course, there’s two sides to every story, and you can read them both, along with plenty more news from around the dance-music world, in today’s link roundup.
– Wait—what happened at the BPM Festival? According to the Frontliner, DJ Darius Syrossian claims he was beaten up onstage for challenging some of the festival’s policies, after having to pay to get there in the first place. Naturally, the promoters have a different tale to tell. It’s all a doozy: (full story)
– Getting booted off the decks was a pretty big trend last year. It doesn’t bother Shawn O’Sullivan, who holds such ejections like a badge of honor. (full story)
– If you’ve ever been curious as to what inspired Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back,” you need to read this oral history of how the video went down. (full story)
– So what inspired Actress’ latest work? Oh, just pain, drug addicts, and homelessness, he tells Mixmag. (full story)
– Production school extraordinaire Dubspot has a lot going on right now. Not only have they cracked the lid on their LA location, but they’re in the midst of dub month right now, premiering a bunch of new tutorials and hosting dub god Lee “Scratch” Perry in their NYC studio. (full story)
– Future Music magazine recently tapped the young dance star Martin Garrix to talk at length about his crazy-huge hit “Animals.” Here’s the teaser for the full episode that will air tomorrow.
– More from CES: Hercules’ DJControlWave, a 100% wireless bluetooth DJ controller for iPad. (full story)
– If you’re new to the DJ game, you’d do well to heed the advice of legend Danny Tenaglia, who recently dropped a few tips on how to manage yourself professionally. (full story)
– Here’s everything you need to know about NYC club Rinsed, courtesy of Vice’s Thump subsite. (full story)