Clearly still in the Valentine’s Day spirit, today’s Morning Roundup is a bit of a mutual appreciation society. Whether it’s Canadian electronic music icons Richie Hawtin and Deadmau5 pairing up for a SXSW chat, or Deadmau5 speaking candidly on his friendship with Swedish House Mafia, everything’s all lovey-dovey for once in the dance-music world—today at least.
– Ninja Tune has enlisted quite a legend for this installment of their Solid Steel Radio program to help celebrate their 25th anniversary. Today’s mix comes from Chris Carter (of Throbbing Gristle, Chris & Cosey, and Carter Tutti), and features tracks by Demdike Stare, Andy Stott, Tangerine Dream, and more.
– While most of the electronic music industry gears up for Miami in March, there’s definitely been a lot of attention focused on the also-huge South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas. In fact, one event we’re super-excited to check out is this onstage chat about techno and technology between Richie Hawtin and Deadmau5. (full story)
– Speaking of the ‘mau5, he just chatted with Vibe about guest rappers, his engagement to Kat Von D, his oddly friendly relationship with Swedish House Mafia, and tons more. “When I start gacking on about what they do or their stage thing, they understand,” he says. (full story)
– And speaking of Swedish House Mafia, they kicked off their last tour ever the other day in San Francisco. The city’s SF Weekly weighs in. (full story)
– More from the awesome RBMA Radio Fireside Chat series: jungle/drum & bass pioneer Grooverider! (full story)
– And lastly for today, we’ve got a bit of a meme killer for you: The Harlem Shake was a thing long before it was a thing on the internet. (full story)
photo via SXSW