There’s a pretty nice spread of activity today across the dance music world, from Diplo’s new video, to Movement’s second lineup announcement, to a new Zomby track, and a tutorial on drum programming. Dare we say there’s something for everyone? Read on to find out.
– Diplo’s Mad Decent label recently kicked off their new YouTube channel, Potato, with Bang!, a somewhat-WTF mini-documentary on Detroit techno’s impact as seen through the eyes of Kevin Saunderson… and Skrillex and Boys Noize, naturally. Today he premieres his new clip, “Butter’s Theme,” which owes as much to Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” as it does DIS Magazine.
– Detroit’s Movement Festival has revealed stage two of its lineup today, and some of the new additions to the list include Adult. (live), Audion (aka Matthew Dear), Ben Sims, Brodinski, Moodymann, Nicolas Jaar (live), T. Williams, Al Ester, Gregor Tresher, Daniel Bell, Miguel Campbell, Stacey Pullen, Break Science, DJ Godfather, TEED, Steffi, Azari & III (live), Masters at Work, Soul Clap, Ellen Allien, Gesaffelstein, Hector, Matt Tolfrey, and plenty more. (full story)
– Vinyl totally is not dying, as we know, and a new campaign, backed by Ninja Tune, is helping to cement its future. Beat Delete is a crowd-funded program in which potential customers are asked to pledge to buy an album, and once the funding goal has been reached, the record will be reissued. Nice! (full story)
– Juan Atkins has been in the studio with Basic Channel’s Mark Ernestus, and they’ve already got Ricardo Villalobos on the remix for their first track, “Dark Side.” Read more in this interview with the techno originator. (full story)
– FACT has got a point—the real BRIT Awards kinda suck. So FACT went ahead and started their own alternate awards program—and the final votes are in. Check out who won: (full story)
– You wouldn’t expect to hear a brand-new Zomby track in a fashion show, but hey—them’s the brakes. Listen to his new composition for the En Noir fashion house below.
– Looking to up your drum-programming game? Resident Advisor provides a few useful tips here: (full story)