In today’s roundup, Richie Hawtin goes back to school—quite literally—as he brings his CNTRL tour to campuses continent-wide, including his own alma mater. Plus, our favorite DJs survey the state of the scene and we find some amazing DJ controllers, so get to readin’, stat!
– Richie Hawtin and Loco Dice are taking electronic music “beyond EDM” on the CNTRL tour, which will see the pair linking up with the likes of Carl Craig, John Acquaviva, Tiga, and more as they sit down with college students around the US and Canada for a full-on exploration of electronic music’s history and its technology, with workshops supported by Dubspot, DJ TechTools, and Beatport. They’ll also be performing at nearby clubs at night, of course. Stay tuned to Beatport News for more details, and check out the dates here: (full story)
– First-wave dubstep producer Pinch has announced a compilation of his non-Tectonic releases, called MIA, due out November 19. (full story)
– Krakow, Poland’s Unsound Festival kicks off on October 13, and its full lineup, which includes folks like Demdike Stare, Andy Votel, Juju & Jordash, Kuedo, and Theo Parrish, is now complete. (full story)
– Looking to snag a new piece of digital DJ gear? MusicRadar takes a peek at 10 of the best DJ controllers. (full story)
– So, how to make the world of DJing a better place, according to Radio Slave? “I’m not a violent person, but I would say if you killed a few key people things might get better!” 90 DJs weigh in in Big Shot Mag’s state-of-the-scene survey. (full story)
– Rotterdam-born producer Munchi has turned down $50,000 from Azealia Banks to release a track he collaborated on with her and Diplo. He claims that the track was leaked without his permission, and now he wants no part of it. But hey, since it’s already out there, you might as well check it. (full story)