Happy Monday! To get you psyched for the week, you need to check out today’s top story, which involves a 15-year-old kid, DJ Focus, from Sierra Leone, who reverse-engineers electronics and builds his own radio transmitters. So get on it!
– Here’s an inspiring Monday-morning story for you: a 15-year-old from Sierra Leone builds his own broadcast transmitters and wows MIT’s tech wizards.
– Unknown to the Unknown, PMR, Hyperdub, and more make the cut as FACT names their 10 best labels for 2012. (full story)
– New York reggae and house DJ/producer legend Bobby Konders is given some shine by Big Shot in this great little featurette on five of his classic tunes. (full story)
– Bill Brewster, the writer responsible for the dance-music bible Last Night a DJ Saved My Life takes the current dance trend in the US to task in a piece in the Guardian: “EDM has effectively bypassed the club culture on which house and techno were founded and gone straight for the stadiums and festival jugular,” he says. (full story)
– This week’s DJ Mag podcast features the wonderful Don Rimini at the controls.
– Wait, you want more free music? How about Massive Attack’s recent BBC 6 Mix, featuring Kraftwerk, Addison Groove, The Bug, Man Parrish, and more?
– Stream Clone’s latest Drexciya reissue, Journey of the Deep Sea Dweller III, over on RA. (full story)
– Beatsmith AraabMUZIK is set to work with Skrillex and Diplo on his next album, Billboard reports. (full story)